Listen. It’s not gluten free (it has two tablespoons of flour), and I am p sure it’s not vegan or vegetarian friendly. But it has rum and it has chocolate, so I daresay it’s one of the best ones out there.
The story behind it:
Years ago, when I was 16, I was hanging out at a friend’s place and in his fridge he had a huge batch of this cake. I tried one piece, and fell in love. On a whole new level. I pestered him for a while, until he finally remembered to give me the recipe and the rest? The rest is history. Except that it’s not because this cake is my cake, it’s the cake. And I eat it at least once a year — on my birthday.
It’s tasty, it’s chocolatey, it’s very juicy and not dry at all, it has cherries, it has whipped cream and RUM. RUM!
Anyway, you’ll need:
- 8 eggs (yes, 8)
- Butter, 70 g
- Sugar, 250 g
- Walnuts, 250 g (finelly chopped or whatever we call that)
- All purpose flour, 2 tbsp
- Cocoa powder, 1 tbsp
- Rum (!), 1 dl
- Whipped cream, 1 l (not sure how this is measured, but you need enough whipped cream to be able to cover the top of the cake; so basic frosting amount)
- Cherry jam (as much as you want)
- Cooking chocolate, 100 g
What you’ll have to do:
- Separate the egg yolks from egg whites.
- Mix in the yolks and the sugar; beat the whites separately.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, walnuts.
- Slowly add the flour-cocoa-walnuts mix and beaten whites to the yolk-sugar mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees (Celsius).
- Once it cools down a bit soak with rum (as much rum as you want).
- Melt the chocolate and the butter; then cover the rum soaked base with chocolate.
- Let cool.
- Spread the jam onto the chocolate; cover with all the whipped cream you want before serving and sprinkle some magical fairy dust on top.
And then enjoy!
Don’t forget to sparkle sparkle,